Cantab is investment science in action. We apply our scientific backgrounds to developing statistical strategies and fully-automated execution systems, as well as optimising our Friday lunch order.
To join us, you will need to be smart, numerate, hardworking and self-starting.
Trainee - Legal, Compliance, Risk3 April 2019
As part of the Investment2020 Scheme, we are looking for a Trainee (for one year, fixed term contract) to work within our Legal, Compliance and Risk team. You must be educated to A'Level standard or equivalent and have an interest in pursuing a career in law or compliance. You will receive thorough on the job training, whilst also receiving support to undertake a Legal/Compliance related qualification.
Cantab, part of GAM Systematic, is a multi-billion dollar investment manager based in Cambridge. We apply statistical and mathematical methods to a wide variety of markets to generate returns. The business has been growing steadily since its launch in 2006 and now employs 65+ people. We are proud of our collegial spirit which attracts top talent to form free-thinking teams.
As a trainee you will be fully immersed in this environment, giving you great experience in both the legal and finance worlds. Some of the things you may work on include:
Under the supervision of a qualified solicitor, you will assist the legal function on the legal, regulatory and commercial issues affecting the business, including:
Providing legal and administrative support to the Legal team members responsible for negotiating trading documentation (eg ISDAs) and client facing documentation (eg Investment Management Agreements) and liaising with different business divisions (eg Operations, Trading, Marketing) as necessary;
- Contributing to on-going projects, such as MiFID2;
- Undertaking research (ie to find information on new and existing regulations, legal cases and articles);
- Assisting in the update of template documentation;
- Assisting in the negotiation of confidentiality agreements, terms of engagement and other ancillary documentation
The Compliance function reviews and responds to queries from the business as well as providing interpretations of regulations. The Compliance department is responsible for keeping abreast of regulatory developments and works closely with the business to ensure policies and procedures and systems and controls are in place to meet new and existing regulatory requirements. Duties of the department include:
- Undertake monitoring reviews in accordance with the Compliance Monitoring Plan
- Test and review the controls in place to ensure that the business is acting in accordance with procedures and regulatory obligations
- Review marketing materials to ensure that financial promotions are clear, fair and not misleading
- Ensure members of staff have been provided with sufficient training to meet their regulatory obligations
- Co-ordinate face-to-face training as well as online training modules on topics such as Market Abuse, Anti-Money Laundering, Data Protection and Anti-Bribery and Corruption
The Risk function is responsible in continuous development of the approved risk management framework and reviews all qualitative and quantitative risks associated with the business. You will assist with the duties of the department which include:
- Reviewing and presenting findings to the Risk Committee
- Monthly review of risk reports and ensuring adherence to obligations and limits
- Ensuring processes and procedures are formalised and up-to-date
- Strong organisational skills
- Ability to work to time critical deadlines with accuracy and attention to detail
- Self-starter with a 'can do' attitude
- A strong desire to learn
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Computer literate with the ability to adapt to different systems
Salary and Benefits
The role is part of the Investment2020 scheme and the salary is specified on the scheme website. Cantab - part of GAM Systematic, offers a range of benefits including 25 days holiday per annum, pension, private medical cover, life assurance ,income protection free on-site gym membership, season ticket loan.
Please apply via the i2020 website: https://www.gam.com/en/careers/trainee/apply-here and also send a copy of your CV and covering letter to: email@example.com. Successful candidates will have a telephone interview first; all further interviews will be based in Cambridge.
The closing date for applications is 31st May 2019.
Trainee Programme Overview
The Investment2020 Trainee programme is aimed at both school/college leavers as well as graduates. The purpose is to enable individuals with limited or no exposure to financial services to start their careers in the investment management industry and gain the skills and experience required to progress their careers within the industry.
The Investment2020 Trainee Scheme will be for a fixed term of 12 months. All Trainees will be part of the wider Investment2020 community with the opportunity to build relationships with other trainees on the scheme through both social and professional events. Trainees will receive extensive 'on the job' training by being assigned to a specific department for the duration of the 12 month contract. As well as Investment2020 centrally organised learning and development opportunities and additional training organised by our in-house Education & Development Department, Trainees will be given the opportunity to study for an industry recognised professional qualification.
For further details about the i2020 scheme please go to: https//investment2020.org.uk/
Operations Analyst10 April 2019
Our Operations and Finance teams perform a pivotal role in the company and together with our scientists have earned us a fantastic reputation. Over the past 12 years we have launched a wide range of products covering Equities, Fixed Income, Credit and Currency securities and derivatives. We can offer a unique opportunity for someone starting their career in Finance and a great long term development opportunity.
Cantab, part of GAM Systematic, is a well-established, award winning, systematic investment team based in Cambridge. We apply statistical and mathematical methods to a wide variety of markets to generate returns.
Cantab is fully systematic with a multi-strategy, multi-asset approach where our team of scientists develop and build highly sophisticated proprietary statistical investment strategies.
Our Operations and Finance teams perform a pivotal role in the company and together with our scientists have earned us a fantastic reputation. We have been growing steadily since our inception in 2006 to become part of one of the world’s leading asset managers.
We are looking to add an entry-level Operations Analyst to our middle-office team based in Cambridge. The role encompasses a wide range of diverse tasks related to:
- Trade support
- Trade, cash and position reconciliation
- Collateral management
- Treasury and Cash management
- Investigating and booking Corporate Actions
- Project work related to new account and product setup
- Cost analysis/MIS
- Maintaining relationships with counterparties (e.g. Prime Brokers)
- Proactive improvement of controls and automation of tasks
You will be a graduate with a high class (2i or above) degree in a numerical/financial subject. Previous experience with MS Excel to an advanced level is desired as would be a prior internship in Banking or Asset Management in the Operations department.
This role will suit a 'go-getter', who appreciates time sensitivity and is both proactive and a good communicator. Such an attitude can make a real difference to the firm's performance. You must be able to demonstrate the ability to add significant value to the firm.
Salary and BenefitsSalary is negotiable depending on experience. Talented and successful employees will be eligible for a discretionary bonus. We offer a range of benefits including 25 days holiday per annum, pension, private medical cover, life assurance, income protection, free on-site gym membership, season ticket loan, childcare voucher scheme and a cycle loan scheme.
We are an equal opportunity employer at all stages of recruitment and selection. Shortlisting, interviewing and selection will always be carried out without regard to gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origins, religion or belief, age, pregnancy or maternity leave. As such we recognise and embrace the benefits of employing a diverse workforce.
Quantitative Analyst23 May 2019
We are interested in talking to mathematicians, statisticians, computer scientists, economists and other quantitative graduates and post-graduates who want to join our team as a Quantitative Analyst.
Cantab, part of GAM Systematic, is a multi-billion dollar investment manager based in Cambridge. We apply statistical and mathematical methods to a wide variety of financial markets. The team has access to some of the most sophisticated technologies and data, including high-frequency multithreaded and distributed engines, fast synchronised databases, financial analytic libraries and purpose-tailored languages.
The business has been growing steadily since its launch in 2006 and now employs 60+ people in Cambridge.
- You will need to be super-smart, numerate, computer literate, hardworking and self-starting.
- You will be responsible for developing algorithms which predict price changes across a wide variety of markets.
- A background in time series analysis, statistics, economics, digital signal processing, reinforced learning algorithms, portfolio theory or applied mathematics will be an important feature of your CV.
- Programming will be an integral part of your job and you should have experienceof a least one of Python, C++, C, C#, php, Perl, or Matlab.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is negotiable depending on experience. Talented and successful employees will be eligible for a discretionary bonus. We offer a range of benefits including 25 days holiday per annum, pension, private medical cover, life assurance, income protection, free on-site gym membership, season ticket loan, childcare voucher scheme and a cyle loan scheme.
We are an equal opportunity employer at all stages of recruitment and selection. Shortlisting, interviewing and selection will always be carried out without regard to gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origins, religion or belief, age, pregnancy or maternity leave As such we recognise and embrace the benefits of employing a diverse workforce.
Please apply by email sending a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote reference CCP/QA